Tuesday, March 12, 2024

#MovieGlasses - Exhuma (2024)

 

Source

I promise you, this blogpost will fast and straight to the point.

Long Story Short

One day, Two Shamans, Geomancer (Feng-Shui Master) and President's Gravedigger had their life intertwined by a baby who got cursed by their grandparents via their parents. Long story short, four of them exhumed the coffin of the grandparents AND thanks to greedy morgue attendant, the evil spirit of the Grandpa running loose, claiming all of his line of blood until the last one - the Baby. The spirit goes wild, killing all his line, right before he killed the baby, the administration was done and approved regarding to cremation of the grandpa's coffin. As the coffin burned, the spirit goes bye bye, the baby is save and someone killed a scary-humanized-faced-and-haired snakes from the grandpa's graveyard.

And then, like a fine wine, they bridge the Spirit Grandpa Arc into another story that involving the same graveyard - lets call it Shogun Arc. For me this is when the film getting interesting. The Oni Shogun is real, eating live pigs and some people head off, and can transform into a ball of fire when need to flee. And then filled with historical and negative sentiment with Japanese, the three character (you'll see what happen) face to face with the Shogun, D&D style - the Shaman rolled Charisma check below the Shogun, but thank God she had a backup.

Badabing, badaboom, the Shogun's dead and the movie ended with a such happy ending. Hana dul set.

For Me..

This movie will be pleasant for those who enjoy horror with jumpscares (yes, there are several jump scares that literally makes me chills and made my wife hand grasp harder (I believe she dug her nails into my arm)) while also enjoying a korean movie whatever it was from drama or any other genre. But don't expect any horror trope on the second arc - despite I enjoyed the second part, but frankly it was more like monster movie where we know who the monster, where will the monster be, and how powerful they are. But for the first arc, I nailed down my eyes.

The convos was great, the cinematography was superb, and the capabilities on creating such nuance and mood and tense was top notch - both for arc I and II. The thing that bothered me was just it was so explicit, so raw that the woman-headed-snake scene was purely a bridge between the arcs. It was so obvious and it ended up way to quickly and abrupt. I want to know what happen with the woman-headed-snake, why it's exist in Exhuma's universe and will it expand the world itself. It was short and literally brief scarry moment, it hold such potential.

And once again, I grateful for the Shogun's arc.

Hence the Verdict..

I'll give 7,5 of 10 and 8,5 of 10 only for the Shogun arc. I love it so much.